Usman Akram Sahi
Admitted to practice in 2007.
Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn)
Called in 2007
LL.B (Hons.) (Warwick)
Advocate Supreme Court
Pakistan Bar Council
Supreme Court Bar Association
Punjab Bar Council
Lahore High Court Bar Association
The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
Main area of work is the power sector, corporate, Taxation, commercial, banking laws, civil matters, intellectual property rights, negotiation and drafting of contracts, advising on regulatory and legal issues, conveyancing, infrastructure projects, company matters, and litigation pertaining to the aforesaid and related matters.
- Advising the project sponsors on the establishment of a 660 MW imported coal-fired power plant in Southern Punjab
- Providing legal services to Punjab Thermal Power (Pvt.) Limited, a Government of Punjab owned company, in respect of setting up of a Re-gasified liquefied natural gas (RLNG) power plant in Punjab, including but not limited to drafting and negotiation of the EPC contract, LTSA, O&M Agreements, Gas Supply Agreement, Power Purchase Agreement, financing documents, tariff application and generation license application.
- Engaged as the legal team for the institutional restructuring of the Mines and Minerals Department, Government of the Punjab.
- Engaged as the legal team for the project of computerization of land records in the Punjab, including drafting of the proposed bill for setting up the Punjab Land Records Authority.
- Providing legal advisory services to National Power Parks Management (Pvt.) Limited, a Government of Punjab owned company.
- Legal advisory services to the Power Purchaser in respect of a Tripartite Power Procurement Agreement with Karachi Electric Supply Company (KESC) for the supply of 650 MW
- Legal advisory services to the Power Purchaser in respect of a Power Purchase Agreement in for the setting up of a power plant on RLNG having capacity of 1180 MW in Punjab.
- Advised a client with respect to setting up a hydro-based power project, including drafting, review and negotiation of the Power Purchase Agreement with National Transmission and Despatch Company Limited
- Conducted detailed legal and regulatory due diligence of the DISCOs for their transition from Government-owned entities to private management, involving extensive and detailed due diligence of the entire distribution sector
- Advised in the transition and split of the market operation function from NTDC and vesting the same in CPPA-G
- Legal advisor for review of existing drafts and drafting a business transfer agreement between NTDC and CPPA-G for transfer of the market operation function
- Team member for the team contracted to review the relevant policies and related documents, and to draft an appropriate agreement between CPPA-G and DISCOs, keeping in view the developing and proposed structure of the power sector in Pakistan.
- Represented one of the parties in expert proceedings before an Expert appointed for resolution of dispute relating to contractual terms between an independent power producer and the power purchaser
- Representing various power distribution companies with respect to tariff related matters, before the High Court as well as before NEPRA
- Team member for team that advised the LDA with respect to the 'Ravi City' project, the mandate of which included detailed due diligence of all aspects, e.g. legal and regulatory framework, international best practices, etc.
- Provided legal input and advice on preparation of documents for Privatization Commission relating to different modes of privatization.
- Advising the Government and drafting a law relating to computerization of land records in the Punjab.
- Represented independent power producers in expert proceedings and arbitration proceedings (commenced before the London Court of International Arbitration) in a dispute relating to the Power Purchase Agreement between the power producers and the power purchaser.
- Conducted legal due diligence of fertilizer company in a proposed privatization.
- Advised acquirer on acquisition of 50% stake in a listed insurance company.
- Advised foreign investor on acquisition of strategic substantial equity interest in company engaged in bottling and selling beverages of international brand.
- Advised foreign investor on acquisition of 20% stake in a private limited company.
- Advised buyer on acquisition of assets and stake in public (unlisted) company engaged in manufacture of sugar.
- Conducted legal due diligence of company engaged in bottling and selling beverages of international brand.
- Advised various buyers in acquisition of substantial assets of various public listed companies.
- Advising various clients from time to time on acquisition of property. Work includes due diligence and conveyancing of property.
- Advising international law firms and their clients from time to time in relation to Pakistani laws and regulations.
- Advised and represented various clients for scheme of arrangement for merger, division and reconstruction of companies.
- Advising in division of assets of companies engaged in construction and textile business and provision of services.
- Advising various clients in settlements with various financial institutions.
- Representing multinational companies involved in litigation with respect to various matters before various forums, including the High Courts of Pakistan.
- Representing companies in matters involving regulatory and company law issues before the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan and the Competition Commission of Pakistan.
- Representing companies involved in civil, intellectual property rights, banking and property disputes before the civil and banking courts.
- Drafted settlement agreements and conducted negotiation with respect to disputes arising between two or more persons / companies.
- Drafted shareholder’s agreements between shareholders of companies.
- Drafted various service agreements, lease agreements, outsourcing agreements, for various clients.
- Advised clients on foreign exchange regulations as applicable to transfer to and out of Pakistan of foreign currency, and other related matters.
- Representing Government-owned entities in litigation pending in the Courts with respect to the power sector.
Email: [email protected]