Admitted to practice in 1999.
Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn)
Called in 1999
LL.B (Hons.) (London)
Advocate, Supreme Court of Pakistan
Pakistan Bar Council
Supreme Court Bar Association
Punjab Bar Council
Lahore High Court Bar Association
The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
Main area of work is the power sector, corporate, commercial and banking laws, Taxation (direct/indirect), intellectual property rights, negotiation and drafting of contracts, alternative dispute resolution including arbitrations, advising on regulatory and legal issues, conveyancing, infrastructure projects, advising and structuring transactions including in the power, oil and gas sector, company matters, cross-border transactions and litigation pertaining to the aforesaid and related matters.
Recommended for Corporate/M&A and Dispute Resolution by Asia Pacific Legal 500; for Corporate & Commercial and Dispute Resolution by Chambers Asia; and for Corporate and Commercial by Chambers Global
- Team leader of the legal team for Punjab Power Project, Jhang (1263 MW RLNG-based plant).
- Team leader of the legal team engaged for the Lahore Matiari Transmission project.
- Providing legal advisory services to National Power Parks Management (Pvt.) Limited, a Government of Punjab owned company.
- Legal advisor to the Power Purchaser in respect of a Tripartite Power Procurement Agreement with Karachi Electric Supply Company (KESC) for the supply of 650 MW.
- Team leader of the team subcontracted with respect to the project to carry out legal and regulatory due diligence of the DISCOs for their transition from Government-owned entities to private management. Carried out extensive and detailed due diligence of the entire distribution sector.
- Team Leader for the team contracted to review the relevant policies and related documents, and to draft an appropriate agreement between CPPA-G and DISCOs, keeping in view the developing and proposed structure of the power sector in Pakistan.
- Team Leader for the team contracted to review existing drafts for transfer, and draft, a business transfer agreement between NTDC and CPPA-G.
- Represented NTDC in its disputes with respect to acquisition of land for its activities.
- Advised a client with respect to setting up a hydro-based power project.
- Represented one of the parties in expert proceedings before an Expert appointed for resolution of dispute relating to contractual terms between an independent power producer and the power purchaser.
- Represented independent power producers in expert proceedings and arbitration proceedings (commenced before the London Court of International Arbitration) in a dispute relating to the Power Purchase Agreement between the power producers and the power purchaser.
- Advised the government institution, set up to provide one window facilities to companies engaged/to be engaged in power sector, with respect to standard set of transaction documents for such operations.
- Advised World Bank Group in its Project ‘Investing Across Borders’, in various sectors, including oil, gas and power.
- Advising Infrastructure Project Development Facility for development of framework for Solid Waste Management for City District Government, Faisalabad.
- Conducted legal due diligence of company engaged in sale and transportation of oil, diesel etc., in the proposed privatization.
- Conducted legal due diligence of fertilizer company in the proposed privatization.
- Advised acquirer on acquisition of 50% stake in a listed insurance company.
- Advised foreign investor on acquisition of strategic substantial equity interest in company engaged in bottling and selling beverages of international brand.
- Advised foreign investor on acquisition of 20% stake in a private limited company.
- Advised seller on sale of 100% stake in a listed cement company.
- Advised seller on sale of 100% stake in public (unlisted) company engaged in textile business.
- Advised seller on sale of 100% stake in a private limited company holding strategic licence to sell CNG in selected areas on the Lahore Islamabad Motorway.
- Conducted legal due diligence of company engaged in bottling and selling beverages of international brand.
- Conducted legal due diligence of investment bank (listed) and advising foreign investor in acquisition of substantial equity interest in the same.
- Advised various buyers in acquisition of substantial assets of various public listed companies.
- Advised both foreign and local property developer on joint ventures for undertaking various property development projects.
- Advising various clients from time to time on acquisition of property. Work includes due diligence and conveyancing of property.
- Advising international law firms and their clients from time to time in relation to Pakistani laws and regulations.
- Advised and represented various clients for scheme of arrangement for merger, division and reconstruction of companies.
- Advised and represented acquirers on acquisition of a listed non-banking finance company engaged in investment finance and leasing services
- Advised foreign investor in procuring licence for provision of telecommunication service and documentation required in connection with incorporation of company and related matter.
- Advised clients on contracts pertaining to gas sale and purchase agreement, conversion from diesel to gas generation.
- Structured and handled the issuance of term finance certificates for many leading companies.
- Advised in re-structuring/re-scheduling of swap transactions under the regulations of the State Bank of Pakistan for lending to Public/Private Sector entities
- Advising in division of assets of companies engaged in construction and textile business and provision of services.
- Advising various clients in settlements with various financial institutions.
- Representing multinational companies involved in litigation with respect to various matters before various forums
- Representing companies in matters involving regulatory and company law issues before the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan and the Competition Authority.
- Representing companies involved in civil, intellectual property rights, banking and property disputes before the civil and banking courts.
Email: [email protected]