Faisal H. Khan
Admitted to practice in 2000.
B.A. Economics and Political Science (Michigan/London School of Economics)
Juris Doctorate (Harvard)
Advocate High Court
Islamabad High Court Bar Association
Punjab Bar Council
New York Bar Association
Prior to joining Cornelius, Lane and Mufti, Mr. Khan was acting as special advisor to the Attorney General of Pakistan. His contract expired in August 2016 and he has now joined the firm in Lahore. Previously, he was associated with international law firms in Washington D.C. and in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
He has a juris doctorate in law (J.D.) from Harvard Law School and a double bachelors in Economics and Political Science from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
Mr. Khan focuses on general commercial matters and specifically development of international projects as well as representing clients and sovereign governments in international arbitrations.
Recent Notable Engagements:
- Advised Middle Eastern and Chinese consortium on joint venture and regulatory issues regarding development of infrastructure projects in Pakistan.
- Represented PowerChina in their successful bid for development of 135MW Taunsa Hydro-electric Power Project.
- Advised Seller on successful sale of majority stake in Dandot Cement Company and subsequently advised Buyer on completion of public offer for remaining outstanding shares.
- Advising Sino-Pak Power as successful bidder for development on PPP basis of 34 MW run-of-river Nila Da Khata Hydro-electric Power Project in Mansehra, Khyber Pakhtunkwa.
- Advised Sahara Petrochemical Company on its 30% acquisition in downstream $1.6 billion petrochemical project.
- Advised Buyer on acquisition of minority stake worth Rs. 22 billion in an independent power project in Pakistan (transaction later unwound due to failure to receive regulatory approvals).
- Advised MND, Austria with respect to tax litigation with respect to divestment of its stake in Oil & Gas concessions in Sind, Pakistan.
- Prepared for Al-Mirqab (Qatar) standard form Power Purchase and Implementation Agreements based on World Bank standards for thermal and hydel projects in Nigeria and Ethiopia.
- Advised Government in ad-hoc arbitration with respect to international water treaty dispute.
- Advised private equity firm in acquisition of controlling stake in small hydro-electric project located in Azad Jammu & Kashmir.
- Advised Buyer in acquisition of 154 acre sugar mill in Central Punjab province.
- Advised Chinese private equity firm on foreign investment regulations with respect to its investments in Pakistan.
- Advised sovereign government on ICSID arbitration related to development of a mining lease in Pakistan.
- Advised Saudi investors in carrying out due-diligence on potential purchase of a Pakistani airline.
- Advised National Industrialization Company in all aspects of project development and legal contracting, including various pipeline grid projects and downstream petrochemical projects with Dow Chemicals, Evonik Industries and Lyondell Basell, work included drafting full range of project documentation from joint venture agreements, offtake and construction contracts, gas purchase and sale agreements, technology licensing and supply agreements.
- Advised a Middle Eastern consortium on their bid (unsuccessful) for development of a $15 billion oil refinery complex, including putting in place consortium arrangements, advising on project contracts, and preparing bids.
- Regularly negotiating on behalf of developers regarding EPC/turnkey, production line, equipment supply and technical assistance agreements for industrial facilities throughout the world.
- Advised GO - Etihad Atheeb Telecom with negotiation and execution of vendor agreements with contractors for equipment, software and services for initial build out of its network in Saudi Arabia and provided on-going advice on vendor contracts, equipment purchases and other general legal matters.
- Advised Middle Eastern investors in the development of a 284 km Rail project in West Africa.
- Carried out due diligence and advised on acquisition of majority stake in run of river project in Azad Kashmir.
- Advised lenders on the project financing of numerous steel manufacturing facilities in the GCC.
- Advised a Saudi conglomerate on setting up of automobile manufacturing and solar cell manufacturing projects.
- Negotiating on behalf of developer regarding entry into four hotel brand management agreements in Pakistan with international five star hotel chain.
Email: [email protected]